- One medium sized onion, sliced
- Two stalks of celery, diced
- Two carrots, peeled and diced
- One leek, washed and sliced
- 800grams pumpkin, peeled and diced
- Two and half tbsp Hand Smoked Manuka
- 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 ‘thumb’ of ginger root, grated or finely chopped (or one heaped teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/3 cup Pearl barley
- 1/3 cup Green split peas
- 1/3 cup brown lentils
- One tsp dried thyme
- Two bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 50 grams Frozen Peas
- Two litres of water
Note: We used Sunbeams ‘Sear and Slow’ to sauté the onion and vegetables in the slow cooker at stage one below, however, if you are using a traditional slow cooker, sauté the vegetables and onion in a frying pan then add to your slow cooker. This step is not essential however will result in a superior result.
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery and leek. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in the Hand Smoked Manuka and add the pearl barley, split peas and lentils. Stir in the dried thyme.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and diced pumpkin, followed by the grated ginger, bay leaves and water.
- Heat in slow cooker for six hours on low or four hours on high (add frozen peas thirty minutes before cook time is up and stir in well)
(note: cook times may vary depending on your slow cooker)