- 400g x Basmati Rice (soaked in cold water for thirty minutes, washed and drained)
- 50ml x Olive Oil
- 75g x Butter (diced)
- 1 x Onion (sliced)
- 2x Cloves Garlic (finely chopped/minced)
- 1 Tablespoon x Mild Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon x Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon x Zesty Ginger & Lime Salt
- 1 Teaspoon x Cumin Seed
- 1 Teaspoon x Nigella Seed (optional)
- A few Green Cardamom Pods, split open
- Whole Cloves (about 10)
- 1 splash x Fish sauce (optional)
- 1 litre x Boiling Chicken stock
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c
- In a heavy oven dish, Dutch oven or casserole (cast iron is best), melt half of the butter and oil together over a medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Add all spices, garlic and zesty ginger & lime salt and stir together.
- Add drained rice and stir well.Fish sauce also to be added if used.
- Pour over the chicken stock, cover (see chef's note below) and bake for 25 minutes. Once cooked, leave for five minutes before forking through the remaining diced butter.
Chef's note: Pilaf rice only need be covered with a 'cartouche', this is a simple 'skin' made from baking paper with a small hole torn out of the middle (fold a couple of times to achieve this)
Layer prawn cutlets seasoned with Manuka Smoked Salt on-top of the rice before baking!